Wednesday, December 9

Social Networking as a Non-Social Butterfly

I'll admit that I am not by nature a social butterfly. I've always been content observing than garnering attention. In fact the only time I truly feel comfortable center stage is with a mic in my hand seconds before I sing my first note.

As a newbie author and even before I got my first contract, I realized I was going to have to connect with other writers and potential readers. I wasn't sure how to do it or where to begin. So, I started with the basics. I joined Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and a host of other social networks.

I started joining groups of readers and authors interested in writing and romance novels. I began sending out friend requests to authors I admired and authors I didn't know. By connecting with authors already in the biz I discovered publishers, writing resources, promotional links, and writer/reader groups that I wouldn't have known existed.

What I've learned as a newbie author is that you have to put yourself out there. Connecting with like-minded published and unpublished authors inspired and motivated me to keep writing. I've 'met' many wonderful writers willing to offer advice while welcoming me into the strange, often isolated world of writing.

Social networking helped me get my very first contract and there's a good chance it could do the same for you. So, whether you are a social butterfly or a not . . . spread your wings and connect!

2 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

LOL Best advice I can give you? Get over it! People read the books so you're gonna have to talk to them LOL I'm very comfortable with an online presence. It's getting out there face to face that has me in a cold panic. LOL

Angela Nichelle said...

Sandi,

You are very good with keeping an online presence and I'm trying to "get over it!" and follow suit! The face to face thing makes me shiver with fright too! ;0)