Wednesday, January 6

The Princess and the Frog Review

I love fairytales and as a child I was fascinated with the magical happily ever after tales with beautiful fair princesses. I wanted to be swept away with a magical story with Disney's new fairytale, The Princess and the Frog. From the moment the movie started I waited for the magic and wonder of the story and the characters to pull me in.

Tiana becomes the ninth Disney princess, joining Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, and Mulan. Her story is based in New Orleans in the 1920's, during the Jazz age. She grows up in a working class family, her mother is a talented seamstress and her father pulls double shifts to support them. This is a family that loves and supports one another, Tiana's admiration for her mother and father clearly evident.

Although, Tiana is not rich, she isn't jealous or bitter of her self- absorbed white friend, Charlotte who has more of everything. These are components of the story that I like. I just wish Disney could have been more imaginative and produced a fairytale not based within a time period we know. I would have enjoyed a more magical storyline that would have given the entire fairytale more wonder and freedom.

Naveen, the “prince” from Maldonia is not white or black. Pocahontas was the only princess to fall in love with someone of a different race and that was because the story was based on real life. Was Disney worried a black prince would alienate white audiences? Thank goodness her dad is portrayed as a loving, dedicated father because he is the only positive representation of a black man.

The villain, a voodoo doctor is out to destroy Naveen for nothing more than cash. I wanted a deeper reason. I found the black images of the voodoo spirits racing along the bayou bigger than life on screen disturbing and harmful for young viewers.

Charlotte was the Mardi Gras princess who could break the spell cast on Naveen. She has to be the one to kiss Naveen in order for Tiana to be with her prince and this was another facet of the story that bothered me. I understand the reason but I felt like this was another magical moment missed by Disney. Why couldn't Tiana become the princess somehow?

Am I happy there is now an African-American princess? Of course. She's beautiful, kind and dedicated to making her own dreams come true, a great role model for all young girls. But I didn't walk out of the theatre talking about the heartwarming, spellbinding story. The characters of this movie didn't touch my heart like Pocahontas, Belle or even the animal characters of The Lion King. Even Tinkerbell a made for T.V. movie touched my heart more, the magical world of fairies brought to life in a very imaginative way.

Something was missing from this movie and even though I glad my daughter has a princess representing her own color, I can't shake the feeling Disney didn't dig deep enough to create real magic with this one.

~AN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so true and an great assessment of the movie. I, too, had similar feelings as I left the theater. Thanks for putting it into words