Thursday, November 19

Waiting and Writing

Around the beginning of October, I submitted my first completed manuscript. This YA novel will always hold a special place in my heart no matter what happens in NY. This was the baby that made it all clear to me that writing was what I was born to do besides sing. After almost two years in the making, two hundred and seventy-eight pages, countless rewrites and one busted computer later (it fell to the ground right when I could see the ending in sight), I shipped it off. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders as soon as I did, but then a few days later the weight was back and stronger than ever before. I got the email asking for the entire work and I rejoiced, but now I'm back to biting my nails.

What if I missed the mark with my target audience? What if I shipped it off to the wrong editor? And then the big one question … what if my novel is rejected? Literally, a million questions go through your mind. I know writers face rejection and what truly matters in the end is if you keep trying.

Yeah.

I get that, but looking out for every email or envelope in the mail is very, very hard! I haven't shared the details about my YA novel because I almost think it could jinx things. Crazy, I know and I'll admit to being just a little bit crazy. I was up to two in the morning thinking my writing and this book and what I would do if it is or doesn't get picked up. I know for sure I will resubmit and pull all of my hair out (that's a lot of hair)!

Once I was released from Mia's story, all the other characters that have been swirling around in my head began pushing and shoving to make it out next. I love short stories a lot as a reader and definitely as a writer. There is nothing like creating a tale in a week or less and enjoying the sweet success of completing a story. Waiting for word is tough, but becoming published in the meanwhile with my other short stories has helped. I can do nothing but wait and write and try not to wonder every few hours about all the 'what if's'.

I was pleasantly surprised to read the blog post of an editor turned author that finally submitted his own manuscript and discovered what it was like on the other side. His story is worth reading and you can find it here!

No comments: