Tuesday, April 20

Motherhood Musings

Before I had kids of my own, I had fantasies of what motherhood would be like. I imagined how awesome it would be to have a child created from the love between me and my husband. I wondered how being a mother would change my life and his.

When I was pregnant I was obsessed with Baby Story on TLC. I think I watched every episode during my pregnancy. I wanted to be prepared for every possible scenario. I remembering talking to my mom about breastfeeding, newborns and giving birth. Now, she told me being a mother was tough and I remember her saying more than once, "Just wait until you're a mother," but that statement didn't mean much to me at the time. I don't think she told me the complete truth.

Motherhood is extremely hard work filled with joy and pains you could never imagine when your belly is round with child. I love being a mother but I didn't understand the time, committment, challenges, sacrifices, doubts, worries, headaches, backaches, boo boos, poo poos, late nights, crying, whining, pleading and just plain ole exhaustion it would involve. These are the words of a mother who has seen good days and bad as every mother has. Being a mother touches your heart and soul like no other experience on this planet. But the job of mothering can also deplete your spirit and soul if you let it consume you.

I say it's a job because it is and if you don't see it that way you're probably not a mother yet. It took me a long time to balance being a mother and keeping hold of me and I'm still trying to figure out the magic bullet of balancing it all. It's a labor of love because you love your children and soon all of the things I mentioned above mean nothing if you can see that bright smile on your child's face.

Motherhood is more than I could ever imagined. I'll take the good with the bad because the bottom line is...I am a mom and I wouldn't have it any other way. I salute every mommy out there who understands the struggle and the joy's of mothering. :)

My two hearts, Kai & Drake

3 comments:

Gin said...

I once read the saying "Motherhood is understanding what it's like to walk around with your heart on the outside." somewhere, and it has stuck with me. Motherhood does distract me from my goals with worry and responsibility, but I think if you fit "you time" in your life, it all balances out. You can love your kids and be a great mom while maintaining your personal life and dreams/goals.

Keeping who you are while being a mother is VERY important. For the first few years of my daughter's existence I started to feel like "Shyla's Mom" and not Gin.

Luckily, I stopped listening to people who coached me to be mom first and me second. I like to think I'm both at the same time. If I take a week to network at a conference, I'm not a bad mom. If I take a weekend away every 3-4 months to recharge, she and I are both the better for it!

And if I have to shut the door and plop her down in front of the TV for an hour or two so I can finish a manuscript that might not even sell, it's okay too. And hell with anyone who claims otherwise. LOL

I'm very grateful, though, that what I do allows me to be home every day to get her off the bus from school. And as far as what she brings to me, other than an existence worth living, adventure and a respect for life I didn't have before being a mom...she brings me inspiration. Knowing she's watching makes me pick myself up every time I fall and soldier on with confidence every day.

She's my world. Thanks Nichelle, for allowing me to step outside the writer's world and give her recognition. ::grins::

Best,
G

Rebecca Leigh said...

I love this post! Us mommies gotta stick together! Your children are so beautiful :)

And, I LOVED Baby Story too and watched it multiple times per day when I was pregnant!!

Angela Nichelle said...

Gin,

I love what you said and it's so true how you begin to feel like just a mommy and nothing else. I think this past year was the beginning for me to start and change that. We do need to recharge and get "me time" to be the best mommies we can be!

Rebecca,

Thank you!! It's funny, now I don't watch it at all. And, yes we mommies have gotta stick together!

Thank you both for taking the time to stop by and comment...you made my day. :0)